Out of the many treatments for male problems in Chinese Medicine, erectile dysfunction is one. Men are turning to acupuncture for erectile dysfunction. Here are 5 reasons why Chinese Medicine can help erectile dysfunction.
- MEDICATIONS When seeing a patient for ED the first thing that happens is a whole health history. The ED may be a manifestation of another problem. If there are medications that have a side effect of causing ED. It’s not uncommon for someone to be on 3 or 4 types of medications and if they all have a side effect of ED, then the patient needs to be guided in lifestyle counseling, herbs as well as acupuncture.
- PORNOGRAPHY Frequent use of porn for visual stimulation can cause problems with the Shen. The Shen is like the spirit of the mind, but it is also connected to the Heart. Shen is present in all parts of us. What is happening in a person’s mind may become connected to what is happening in his penis. It’s hard for me to evaluate what porn does to the mind because that would mean I would have to watch it! I do know there is evidence out that excessive porn can be damaging. Acupuncture can help the person reduce the frequency of porn usage.
- DIET What we eat is integral to health. Diet comes into play a lot when someone’s ED is induced by medications. When a man complains of not being able to sustain an erection this may be due to Qi Deficiency with Damp Obstruction. That means there is not enough Qi getting to the penis. This can be due to a total lack of Qi or it can be there is ‘Damp’ in the body blocking the Qi flow. It might be time to give up some carbs, cheese and beers guys! Acupuncture can held with appetite control by choosing points that support digestion and points on the ear that help with addiction.
- AGE In Chinese Medicine we accept the life cycle. It is natural as men get older that they will have a decline in Yin and Yang Qi. Essence is weakened, blood flow is slower, and it’s time to slow down. According to Chinese Medicine men should masturbate less. This is occurs naturally, of course. Acupuncture and herbs can support ED as men get older, but also be a reminder what is the natural course of life. When men ejaculate they lose their lose Essence, their life source. Hence, as men age the less they should ejaculate. Acupuncture, herbs and Qigong excerises are focused on preserving Essence and Kidney Qi. The Kidneys are what hold Essence. Essence is interrelated to our reproductive organs.
- SURGERIES Surgical scars obstruct channel flow. Certain channels like the Lower Jueyin channel go directly to the reproductive organs. This channel runs on the medial aspect of the leg and encircles the genitals. The flow of Qi will go upward starting from the big toe so any scar along the way needs to be treated.
For most there is more than one problem creating the issue of ED. It’s not that we can simply pick an acupuncture point that is going to magically work. It’s a process, but the journey will leave the patient healthy in mind, body and spirit. This is holistic medicine!